Sonntag, 6. Juli 2008

Now it's really about opera!

Ian, me and Jeremy during a break

This is all about BASOTI - update: now WITH pictures!

me and Rachel before our 1st scene-performance)

Here we are not tourists. We are BASOTI - ites. At least that's how we are always called in the official e-mails. "Dear BASOTI - ites, ... "
So this post is all about BASOTI.
Bay Area Summer Opera Theatre Institute,
The summer program that made me spend every day in the "Santa Monica Catholic
School", our rehearsal site on which the sunlight is hardly ever shining, because of its location close to Ocean beach. Even though sounding so nice, like beach and pacific ocean, this area is well known for always being cold and foggy - certainly more Christkindlmarkt - athmosphere than summer feeling and people freezing every day. (not to death though, fortunately) Ironically enough, half an hour away, in downtown, where we leave our hotel every morning, it's always sunny and really not bad - but...some mysterious vibes around the school seem to attract clouds.
So now exactly 2 weeks of the program are over, 3 more to go! In the meantime I have met at least 3 quarters of the 92 singers who are here and I remember hopefully as much as 20 names so far. And I think that by now I am used to entering a house filled with people vocalizing behind every vlosed door - and staying there for hours without going crazy - but actually get even more motivated!
Tomorrow is my 1st public performance in a scene program - I am singing Baby Doe in a scene from the American opera "The Ballad of Baby Doe". Parallel to that we work on Gianni Schicchi.
And here are the fruits of our hard (?) work: (Yay, now I COULD upload the pictures!!)

Gianni Schicchi - first staging of the trio. (Emily (in the middle) and I share the role of "Nella")

Sporty Patricia Wise during her masterclass. She is demonstrating exercise No. 2 of the "Wise 5" - a selection of 5 strech - exercises that warm you up "as much as 10 minutes of singing", and to that she gave this modest name:



Darcy alias Mallika and me alias Baby Doe before the scene - performance:


advanced UNO - session in the break: (Yes, everything is bigger and better in the US and even the cards are flying!)


My first performance (Sunday, July 6): Duet from "The Ballad of Baby Doe":



Baby Doe is sad:

More to come!! The next post will be about my first 4th of July! (as a big holiday)

Keine Kommentare: